Here are some ideas to do over the school break that will help keep the whole family busy:
- Boat trip: The beautiful weather in the Winter is the perfect time to hire a dhow and in my opinion is one of the best activities for kids in Doha. The dhows often leave from near the Museum of Islamic Arts and take you out to near an offshore island where you can jump into the salty waters of the Arabian gulf. For those who aren’t strong swimmers simply enjoy the views of West Bay and the corniche while enjoying a traditional Arabic BBQ. This is really one of the best things to do in Doha with kids.
- Have a Movie Marathon: While you probably don’t want your kids glued to the TV for the whole school break, a planned afternoon or evening of movie-watching can be fun. Choose a theme or a genre for your movie marathon, or just have everyone pick their favorite movie. Make some popcorn, grab a few other favorite movie treats and some cozy pillows and blankets, relax and enjoy!
- Visit a Museum/ Park / Zoo: A trip to a museum or to Park is both educational and fun. Depending on the interests of your family!
- Mia park (or Museum of Islamic Arts Park): This is one of the locals favorite parks because of its central location and unrivalled views of the West Bay skyline. The park contains a fab play area for children and plenty of grassy areas to play on. The park also has a fab cafe right on the seafront which is very popular.
- Zoo (Al Khor Park) A winter trip to the zoo can be a completely different experience as there are many animals that actually prefer cooler temperatures. You are likely to catch them being much more active than they are on hot days.
- Bowling: bowling is a fun family activity and the best part about it is that it’s suitable for all ages. There are many places in Qatar that offer this exciting activity:
- 300 Bowling Center (B Square Mall, Doha)
- Banana Island Resort Doha by Anantara
- Bowling Center in QF Student Center (Education City, Al Rayyan)
- Gondolania (Villaggio Mall, Doha)
- Megapolis (Medina Centrale, The Pearl, Doha)
- Qatar Bowling Center (Al Bidda, Near Mannai Roundabout, Doha)
- Have a Spa Day at Home: If you have daughters, they would probably enjoy a little spa treatment at home. Pamper them with a foot soak in a relaxing foot spa or the tub, and then give them a pedicure and a manicure. If you’re feeling brave, let them do your nails, too!
- Go to the Library: the library can be a great destination. Kids can read books, look for movies to borrow or use the computers at the library, and you can find some new reading material as well. Many libraries offer special kids’ programs during school breaks, so be sure to check your local library’s website for any programs your children may enjoy.
- Have a Craft Day: If your children like to do crafts, this can easily keep them busy for hours. From painting or drawing to making jewelry or collages, the possibilities are almost endless. Provide them with an assortment of supplies, and see what their creative minds come up with.
- Bake Cookies: There’s nothing like the smell of cookies baking in the oven to put a smile on everyone’s face, so gather the crew and get baking. If you’re feeling ambitious, now’s a great time to bake some extra cookies or muffins to stock your freezer up for school lunch treats and snacks.
- Go to a Movie: Going out to a movie together as a family can be expensive, but it’s usually cheaper to go to a matinee. If there’s a big blockbuster that you all really want to see, it may be worthwhile to pay the extra money to see it on the big screen.